A well-stocked first-aid kit is handy for everyday accidents. Here’s what you need to keep in your first aid kit and where you should keep it.
What to keep in your kit
According to the American Red Cross, here is what a first aid kit for a family of four should contain:
- 2 absorbent compress dressings (5 x 9 inches)
- 25 adhesive bandages (assorted sizes)
- 1 adhesive cloth tape (10 yards x 1 inch)
- 5 antibiotic ointment packets (approximately 1 gram)
- 5 antiseptic wipe packets
- 2 packets of aspirin (81 mg each)
- 1 blanket (space blanket)
- 1 breathing barrier (with one-way valve)
- 1 instant cold compress
- 2 pair of non-latex gloves (size: large)
- 2 hydrocortisone ointment packets (approximately 1 gram each)
- 1 roller bandage (3 inches wide)
- 1 roller bandage (4 inches wide)
- 5 sterile gauze pads (3 x 3 inches)
- 5 sterile gauze pads (4 x 4 inches)
- Oral thermometer (non-mercury/non-glass)
- 2 triangular bandages
- First aid instruction booklet [Available on the Red Cross Store]
You also want to include personal items like medication and emergency phone numbers in the first aid kit. Check the kit regularly, checking expiration dates and the seals on packaging.
Where to keep your kit
You want your first aid kit at home to be easily accessible. The kitchen is a good place because it is usually near the center of activity. The bathroom isn’t the best place to keep first aid kits because the humidity shortens the shelf-life of supplies. You also don’t want to store a first aid kit under the sink as it’s generally not a clean and dry environment. A cabinet away from water and heat is a good spot.
It’s also a good idea to keep a first aid kit in your car. Because cars are not as climate controlled as a house, you’ll need to check kits in your car more often.
Call 911 immediately if you’re unsure if you can treat a medical emergency on your own. Treated something at home but think you could still use the help of a medical professional? Head over to America’s ER.
America’s ER – Magnolia & Woodlands is open 24/7/365 and sees walk-in patients with little to no wait. Come see us off 2978 next to Target.